Some would say it’s the greatest week of the year, and you’d be hard-pressed to find a disagreement from me. It’s Masters week.
Here are five storylines that I’d love to see play out come Sunday (some are totally utopian, others may actually happen). In no particular order:
- One of the guys who is making his Masters debut capture the green jacket (see: Spieth, Jordan; English, Harris)
- Fred Couples turn back the clock (again). Imagine if the 54-year-old actually won. Seeing that Jim Nantz/Couples interview after the fact would be worth the price of admission in itself
- Graham DeLaet contending into the weekend (Canadians will be forever enshrined at Augusta thanks to Mike Weir. It was a historical moment. If DeLaet is in contention on Saturday or Sunday, this country will stop whatever it’s doing and tune in)
- Rory McIlroy shake off the critics, and the Augusta demons (the last few times Tiger missed a major, it was Irishmen who won. That trend might continue)
- The BPWAM (Best-Player-Without-A-Major) label to get tossed aside by someone: Dustin Johnson, Luke Donald, Matt Kuchar, Jason Day, Sergio Garcia, Lee Westwood, Brandt Snedeker, Ian Poulter… it’s a stout list. Perhaps this is the time.